You Just Might Be a Yinzer If…
1. I ask you to hand me one of those “Gum-Bands” an’ you actually know what I’m talking about.
2. You walk carefully when it is “slippy” outside.
3. You often go down to the “crick.“
4. You’ve told your children to “red up” their rooms.
5. You can remember telling your little brother/sister to stop being so “
6. You’ve gotten hurt by falling into a “jaggerbush”.
7. Your mother or grandmother has been seen wearing a “babushka” on her
8. You’ve “worshed” the clothes.
9. You didn’t have a spring break in high school.
10. You know you can’t drive too fast on the back roads, because of the deer.
11. You know Beaver Valley , Turtle Crick, Mars, Slippery Rock, Greentree
and New Castle are names of towns. And you’ve been to most, if not all, of
12. A girl walks up to three of her girl friends and says,“HEY,YINZ GUYS!“
13. You hear “you guyses” and don’t think twice. Example: “you guyses hause
14. You know the three rivers by name and under stand that “The Point” isn’t
just on a writing instrument.
15. Someone refers to “The Mon” or “The Yough” and you know exactly what
they’re talking about.
16. You remember the blizzard of 2010 &1993 (or 1976, or 1950, or 1939
or…) and remember not being able to go outside because the snow was over
your head and you would have suffocated.
17. Someone starts the chant, “Here we go Still-ers!” and you join in. In the
proper cadence, waving the appropriately colored towel.
18. Bob Prince and “There’s a bug loose on the rug.” hold special meaning for
19. You’ve either eaten a Farkleberry Tart or know someone who has.
20. You drink pop, eat hoagies, love perogies and one of your favorite sandwiches
actually has coleslaw and French fries ON it.
21. You know what a “still mill” is.
22. You expect temps in the winter to be record-breaking cold and temps in
the summer to be record-breaking hot.
23. You know what Eat ‘N Park is and frequently ate breakfast there at 2:00
AM after the bar closed and made fun of people.
24. You order “dippy eggs” in a restaurant and get exactly what you wanted.
25. You spent your summers, or a school picnic at Luna Park , Kennywood,
Westview, Sand Castle, or Idlewild.
26. You’ve been to the Braun’s Bread Plant or Story Book Forest for a school
27. “Chipped ham” was always in your refrigerator when you was growin’up.
28. You refuse to buy any condiments besides Heinz unless a Pittsburgh
athlete’s picture is on the side of the container.
29. When you call the dog or the kids you shout, “Kum-mere” and they come.
30. Franco, Roberto, and Mario don’t need last names and you can recite
their exploits by heart.
31. Food at a wedding reception consists of rigatoni, stuffed cabbage, sauerkraut
and polska kielbasa.